Sunday, April 08, 2007

King Crimson - In the Court of King Crimson

Decade - 1960's

Label - Island
Producer - King Crimson

Country - UK





* indicates best tracks

1. 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors) Listen Listen
2. I Talk To The Wind Listen Listen
3. Epitaph *
Listen Listen
4. Moonchild (Including The Dream/The Illusion) Listen Listen
5. The Court Of The Crimson Song (Including The Return Of The Fire Witch/The Dance Of The Puppets) Listen Listen

King Crimson - In the Court of King Crimson

Ah prog, some people hate its pretentiousness, others love the freedom of it. I sit somewhere in the middle. I don't mind prog rock, though I wouldn't particularly call myself a "fan"of it because 11 minute songs just start to piss me off after a third listen.

King Crimson is pretty tight though. There's not much meandering about compared to some prog rock, they do seem to have intent. None of the songs generally out stay their welcome, but I still felt this was kind of a disappointment for a very boring reason - I don't like the melodies. That simple. Talk to the Wind bores me, sometimes irritating me, Epitath I actually quite like but it sounds very dated, and Moonchild takes me back to irritation. A lot of people do love this album and I can definitely see its strengths (some of the lyrics are excellent) but if the melodies don't do it for me, there's no hope.

So a shame really, I was expecting to like this.

Genre - Prog Rock

Score - 7/10


Recommended - Yes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home