Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons?

Decade - 2000's

The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons?


I was tempted to start this review with the same sentence I used for The Killers. Different band, different country but same decade and same problem. The Zutons, a Liverpool band formed in 2001 offer quirky "cartoon punk" music that sounds like they followed pre Rubber Soul Beatles around and sniffed around their leftovers. It's a tired sound because there's no slant or originality injected into it, they just seem to hope their off beat, self referencing record will speak for itself. Unfortunately it never really does.

Am I being too harsh? Again, like The Killers, there is nothing really offensively bad here, just nothing great and even less to make me re-listen. Too much of it simply sounds like music I've heard before and done a lot better. I have a feeling this record would sound a lot better live and raw, so the weirdness could be taken up 30 notches and reach the dizzying heights they seem to aspire to.

Who Killed the Zutons? I'm not sure, but I don't really care.


Score - 6/10

Genre - Indie Pop

Best Tracks - Zuton Fever, Confusion

Recommended - Check it out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home