Saturday, June 09, 2007

Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Label - Epic
Producer - David Briggs

Country - US

Genre - psychadelic rock






Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus (1970)

A1Prelude - Nothin' to Hide3:41
A2Nature's Way2:30
A3Animal Zoo3:20
A4Love Has Found a Way2:42
A5Why Can't I Be Free1:03
A6Mr. Skin3:50
B1Space Child3:26
B2When I Touch You5:35
B3Street Worm3:40
B4Life Has Just Begun3:22
B5Morning Will Come2:58
B6Soldier2:43


The problem with this album is that many have gone on to do what it does (and better) and so even though I'd never heard it before, it ends up sounding a bit tired and familiar in a very non-exciting way. It was actually quite ahead of i's time really, a 1970 album that kind of paves the way for the mid 70's albums that most people know.

It's likeable on a first listen and there are some good songs (Solider especially is great), but I don't think it has really stood the test of time.

While I sit there listening to it "Hmm not bad" at the same time I'm just left a bit "meh" about it all. Maybe too classic rock? Who knows.

If you like standard 70s psychedelic rock, you might like this. For me it's just a bit "been there, done that", no matter how new it may have been at the time.

Score - 7/10
Recommended - Yep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home